Re: Linux-on-Linux?

Subject: Re: Linux-on-Linux?
From: Chris Emerson (chris@tartarus.org)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 11:27:09 MDT

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 02:25:58PM +0200, Samuel Rydh wrote:
[re running Linux under MOL]
> Actually, I've run X11 in MOL. To do this:
>
> 1. Block devices must be accessible through the 53c94/mesh
> chip emulation (not in use anymore, although still present).

On a related note, is it possible to use image files instead of actual
block devices on the host side? That would make playing around with
this sort of thing much easier - I don't have any spare space for
scratch partitions.

> 2. BootX (or the 7200-only platinum driver) must be used to
> get video.

*nods*

> 3. An oldworld ROM is necessary since 53c94/mesh is not available
> in the newworld setting.

That's a problem for me, as I only have a newworld machine.

> What really should be done is the following:
>
> 1. Implementation of linux-side drivers interfacing MOL
> to avoid having to emulate hardware (this ought to be easy).

Is none of the hardware already emulated?

> 2. An improved boot mechanism (basically loading
> the kernel instead of the newworld ROM).

How much work is that? I'm afraid I don't know much about the Mac boot
process.

Cheers,

Chris