Re: Bad Mac OS ROM issues

Subject: Re: Bad Mac OS ROM issues
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 17:30:04 MDT

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 12:02:14AM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2000, Samuel Rydh <samuel@ibrium.se> wrote:
>
> >I have also observed that when starting MacOS 9 using an
> >oldworld ROM, the resolution switch sometimes causes a
> >freeze (the problem goes if a single, fixed, resolution is used).
> >Thus there probably is a bug either in the video code or
> >somewhere in the MMU-code.
>
> Well, I'll give a look at the video code if I find some time this week-
> end (I already have a bunch of kernel things to do).

I found the bug. It turned out to be a bad video node in the oftree.
By some mysterious reason I had only given the framebuffer a size
of 2 MB in the regs/assigned-addresses property.

As far as I can see, the the video driver does not utilize
the size of the range (but I guess MacOS constructs a mapping
matching the assigned-addresses property).

For now, I've simply increased the size from 2 MB to 16 MB.

Cheers,

/Samuel

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470