MacOnLinux on a NON-OF machine

Samuel Rydh mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:23:14 +0100

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:38:24PM +1100, Ross Vumbaca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working with the new AmigaOne board in porting Linux to it.
>
> In the past MOL was successfully run on the AmigaOne.
>
> The AmigaOne has since changed - the firmware is now an enanced version
> of the open source ppcboot, and is not an "Open Firmware" firmware.

Have you tried the mol BK tree? I recently fixed this problem
in order to get MOL running on an IBM machines without firmware...

> I found that I couldn't get the kernel module mol.o to load. This was
> due to the "find_path_device" function no longer being present in the
> AmigaOne's Linux kernel. Unless I'm mistaken, that function returns the
> root to the OF Device Tree

Indeed.

> My question is - is MOL reliant on this device tree for the emulated Mac?

No, not really. The hw device tree is essentially unused. At the moment,
it is only used to adjust a few properties in the emulated device tree
(the timebase frequency and the bus speed).

MacOS don't look at these properties anyway so it doesn't matter
if they are slightly off (MacOS X does use them though). In any case,
MOL also gets the timer calibration from the kernel through a
separate mechanis so the correct value of these properties
can easily be calculated rather than copied...

> Would I be correct in saying that MOL does not emulate OF, and in
> fact uses the host machines OF Tree to provide the emualated Mac with an
> OF Tree? (Or am I wrong?).

No, MOL uses its own OF trees (have a look in mollib/oftrees).

Cheers,

/Samuel