MOL voodoo1/2 support

cjw mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 17:32:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 samuel@ibrium.se wrote:

> iii) Write a generic mac side MOL driver for video acceleration.
> It is a bit difficult to obtain information from Apple how to
> write an accelerated video driver though (and I believe there
> is a NDA involved too).

For 2D accelleration I'd think you just override the low-level QuickDraw
functions. MacOS has API calls for that. When MOL is running in X we can
then just pass the info to X and the linux accellerated video driver
should pick it up. With MOL running directly on a VC it would be a bit
harder because as far as I could see the X accellerated video drivers do
about the same as the MacOS ones so you can't easily call them from MOL.

> I would really like to see video acceleration in MOL. The Mac
> side drivers are a bit messy though. I believe it will be
> easier to write an accelerated video driver for MacOS X.

I'm only interested in MacOS, though - I don't use OS X (:

    Christiaan