Linux On Mac

Bill Fink mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 15:10:54 -0400

Hi Samuel,

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 08:50:27PM -0500, Bill Fink wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Samuel Rydh wrote:
> > > Currrently, I'm working on fixing the SMP issues (I'm practically
> > > finished). Next, I will probably improve the linux-in-mol mode.
> > > After that, I think I'll finish the OS X port.
> >
> > That's great news about the imminent SMP support!  Once that's available,
> > I'll be able to finally use both the CPUs on my dual 500 MHz G4 on a
> > consistent basis.  It'll be great to be able to harness that extra CPU
> > horsepower.
>
> SMP support is finished. Note that MOL still presents just a single CPU
> to the client OS although adding support for multi-CPU virtualization
> should not be too difficult.
>
> A recent benh kernel is needed in order to run MOL on SMP machines
> (the official 2.4 tree does not export a symbol MOL needs).

Thanks for your efforts on this.  However, I've run into a problem.
I haven't actually tried using SMP yet.  I thought I'd first try out
the latest MOL on my existing setup, and used rsync to fetch it
(recent files in the top level directory dated Apr 6 09:11).  The
problem is that the new code is a lot slower.  With the released 0.9.68
version of MOL, my MacOS 9.0.4 booted in about one minute, whereas
the most recent 0.9.69 rsync code takes almost 6 minutes to boot.
I'm running a UP 2.4.20-ben8 kernel, and running MOL in an X window.
My system is a dual 500 MHz G4 with 768 MB of memory (MOL is given
256 MB).

						-Bill