10.2.4 update hangs MOL - NOW BOOTS OK

Jamie Clark mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:53:40 +0800

Samuel Rydh wrote:

>[...]
>There are a couple of interesting test you could try:
>
>1) Adding 'kernel: /linux/path/to/mach_kernel' (with a 10.2.4 disk)
>
>2) Ditto, but with the 10.2.3 disk. (Might affect things, if the
>the osx boot-loader contains some bug.)
>
>3) Ditto, but with the 10.2.3 kernel and a 10.2.4 disk.

Both kernels would boot the 10.2.3 disk, but neither kernel would boot
the 10.2.4 disk.

I had a hunch that the kext cache might be a problem. Reading through
bootx-mol main.c I discovered the option, and tried:

kernel: /home/jclark/MacHome/6.4/mach_kernel
mkext-1: /home/jclark/MacHome/6.4/Extensions.mkext

...where Extensions.mkext is the cache that was pre-generated by the
10.2.4 installer (copied to linux). 10.2.4 boots OK with this configuration.

It would appear that 10.2.4 installer may have done something odd to the
HFS+ partition that confuses bootx. I ran a block compare of the first 8
partitions (between 10.2.3 and 10.2.4 disks) and they were identical.
 The boot sectors (0 and 1) of partition 9 (HFS) were zeroed on the
10.2.4 disk - not that that should matter.

>4) Disable the instruction acceleration stuff. Yo can do this by
>checking out bk://mol.bkbits.net/bootx-mol and then commenting out
>the inst_replacements() call at the end of bootx-mol/main/mol.c.
>Build bootx and add 'bootx_image: /path/to/bootx' in the config
>file.

FYI:  had trouble building bootx-mol. I had a quick scan of the
mol-devel archives but could not spot anything related.

automake: cannot open < osiinclude/Makefile.extra: No such file or directory
 at /usr/bin/automake line 7790
automake -a failed

-jamie