10.2.4 update hangs MOL - NOW BOOTS OK

Samuel Rydh mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:28:13 +0100

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 12:15:32PM +0800, Jamie Clark wrote:
> Forgot to mention one very important point: I moved
> /System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext elsewhere to prevent it
> being loaded. This step is in fact required for a successful boot. I
> discovered this after moving the audio extension back into
> /System/Library/Extensions and having the system hang on boot again...
>
> It would appear that the mkext-1 config has no effect - and is probably
> completely wrong. Sorry for jumping the gun.
>
> The system will boot without that additional config, and does require
> IOAudioFamily.kext to be removed.

Ah... this is good information. Thanks a lot! The MOL bootx
version contains a hack that force-loads the IOAudioFamily.kext
even though it is not required for mounting the root file
system. This hack is definitely a suspect.

The hack is there because OSX does not ordinarily support (as far
as I understand) loading drivers not required for mounting the
root volume directly from pci-ROMs (or in the MOL case, directly
from the linux side).

I guess it is always possible to remove the hack and just
drop in MolAudio.kext in the extensions directory.

Regards,

/Samuel