10.2.4 update hangs MOL - NOW BOOTS OK

Jamie Clark mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:28:35 +0800

Samuel Rydh wrote:

>Hmm... I don't see anything obviously wrong with this hack.
>Could you try changing
>
>#if 1
>	/* XXXX: MOL-hack */
>

>in 'bootx-mol/main/drivers.c' to '#if 0'?

OK. Tried that.  It still hangs - which is strange because it no longer
prints the "Force-loading com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily" message.

Even more strange: moving the IOAudioFamily.kext fixes the boot, with or
without the modified MOL bootx - maybe because the dependency is still
in the pci mol driver kext.

One more thing (sorry to do this) in case it was not clear previously:
The kernel config "kernel: /home/jclark/MacHome/6.4/mach_kernel" _is_
required. I will summarise what I have seen:

MOL, OS X 10.2.4 disk, kernel inside MOL disk, will not boot.  (initial
config)
MOL, OS X 10.2.4 disk, kernel copied to Linux: will not boot
MOL, OS X 10.2.4 disk, kernel copied to Linux, IOAudioFamily.kext
removed:  OK
MOL, OS X 10.2.4 disk, kernel inside MOL disk, IOAudioFamily.kext
removed:  will not boot

Above configs with modified MOL bootx: same results

Last of all:
MOL, OS X 10.2.3 disk, booting with 10.2.4 kernel copied to Linux: OK

I still wonder if the problem is somehow related to subtle disk changes
made by the upgrader (it does zero the boot blocks in the HFS
partition). Maybe I'll ditto a copy of the 10.2.4 disk over a working
10.2.3 and see what happens or try pulling the upgrade package apart.

-Jamie