Dolphin making progress.. someone just MIGHT want to have a look at this

Daniel Jacobowitz mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:27:59 -0500

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 02:26:00PM +0100, Samuel Rydh wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 02:10:38PM +0100, Karosa Alabaster wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > Today I read
> >
> > Breaking news from IRC on the Gamecube emulator for Windows known as
> > Dolphin. F|REs just announced the website which features a screenshots
> > section showing many games running, even some at full speed !
> > http://www.dolphin-emu.com/screenshots.php
> >
> > Gamecube = IBM PPC 750cx
> > That means?
> > They finally made a workable ppc emulator?
> > Someone should either crush my hopes again or tell me that this is useable
> > for coding a mac/ppc emu.
> > Remember last time someone said that this emu will probably never run
> > games.. Well it does.. miracles do happen.
> > Anyone with knowledge over the subject should check this out.
>
> Well, the problem is not emulating the (user level) PowerPC instruction
> set. This can be done without (that) much trouble, and the
> resulting speed could be decent.
>
> The problem is emulating/virtualizaing the MMU. This is
> quite tricky. Unless one uses the hardware MMU, performance
> will be relly bad. There are also a lot of corner cases that
> one has to address (alignment issues for instance).

I forget his name, but someone is already working on this for QEmu.
Which already contains soft-MMU code for x86 and probably soon for ARM
as well.  Performance even with the software MMU is quite impressive.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz