serious doc error

Samuel Rydh mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:34:39 +0100

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 03:00:33PM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> The error:
>
> > (iii) Verify that the symbolic links are setup
> > correctly. Some distributions are sadly broken...
> > It should look like this:
> >   /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux
> >   /usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm

Yes... this is indeed wrong (and if you search the mol-general
archive, I have argued against using symbolic links quite a few
times).

The origin of this piece of "advice" is several years old.
Back then, it was common practice was to symlink /usr/src/linux and
/usr/src/asm. (It typically worked a lot better, in particular on PPC
where the distros were quite immature at this time).

I was not aware that the MOL site still contained these instructions; I'll correct
this error (the complete userguide needs to be rewritten; a lot of things have
changed).

/Samuel