Re: booting MOL from hfs image file in linux

Subject: Re: booting MOL from hfs image file in linux
From: Henry Harrison (henry@kcbbs.gen.nz)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 00:58:14 MDT

>> Has anyone successfuly done this? I was quite dismayed to learn that I
>> need a seperate partition to setup MacOS, after spending several days
>> getting my linuxppc installation setup *exactly* how I want it. The FAQ
>> at http://www.turbolinux.com/~brad/mol/ seems to suggest that it's
>> possible. If anyone can help, I'd GREATLY appreciate it.
>>
>> I guess I should have read the mol docs *before* I installed everything
>> else I need. Grr.
>>

> I've had a go at this, and failed. The hfs image file does not appear in the
> startup disk control panel as an option. In Disk First Aid it appears as a
> floppy disk, regardless of file size. However, you may be able to partition a
> MacOS partition off the top of one of your linux partitions using pdisk,
> without destroying your setup. I've had varying degrees of success doing this.

Oops, sure got that one wrong. Tried Seanano's method tonight and it worked
like a charm. I should have thought of using the molrc boot sequence to
determine the boot disk. For what its worth, the disk image still doesn't
show in the startup disk control panel, even when used as a boot disk.

Cheers
Henry