Small network strangeness (tap0 vs eth0 )

Subject: Small network strangeness (tap0 vs eth0 )
From: Andrew Reid (AndrewReid@hfx.andara.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 18:43:07 MST

I am have encountered a small strangeness in the network for MOL (0.9-53-2,
2.2.17pre20-ben3, beige 266-G3 desktop, ROM V3.0 from OS9 install CD).

When I configure the netdev to be tap0 and configure both Linux and Mac
sides appropriately, everything works ***as long as I execute startmol as
root***. If I startmol as a normal user I get a a good session of MOL but I
have no network. Packets don't seem to leave the Mac. If I su in the
terminal window before I execute startmol or if I log on as root, everything
works as expected.

When I configure the netdev to be eth0 and configure the Mac side with its
own IP address, everything works as planned. After the first launch of MOL
as root, I can start it as an normal user and the Mac still has a network.

This is completely repeatable over several boots, and several MOL sessions.
Use the tap0 device, startmol as root... have a network; startmol as a
normal user... no net; su and startmol... get a net; use eth0 and have a net
every time. Very strange !

A small hint may be that this is a Debian distro and I had to use the binary
rpm (I haven't got the source to compile yet, still working through the
dependencies) and I may be missing something. I don't think this is the case
since everything seems to work. Maybe something needed to be installed suid
and was not ??. mol itself seems to run as root, no matter who executes
startmol

Anyone else seen this behaviour, or have any insights ??