Re: Hypothetical Question...

Subject: Re: Hypothetical Question...
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 00:34:48 MST

At 7:53 PM -0500 12/3/00, MPWD wrote:
>for Mac OS X, but I have yet to deciever how to strip it properly so that
>it can function as a MOL ROM. If you know anything about the nature of
>how the strip program works, please email me, I don't know UNIX kernel
>calls well enough to know what is going on here.

There is no such thing as a ROM image for MacOS X, just a kernel and
associated modules (kexts). The MacOS ROM image is called that
because it is (more or less) an image of what used to be in ROM in
Old World Macs. The MacOS X kernel was never in ROM and is therefore
not a ROM image.

Not sure but the OS X kernel is probably a Mach-O binary, which is
something the Linux strip program has absolutely no idea how to
handle. Besides that I doubt that it would be as simple as getting
the kernel into a format that MOL can load. Very likely that MOL
will need additional work to support running MacOS X.

   Tim Seufert