Re: That damned F12 button!

Subject: Re: That damned F12 button!
From: Blair Lowe (Blair.Lowe@compeng.net)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 16:20:35 MST

Hi,

Sorry to cut into this thread, but I have a similar problem:

First of all I would like to thank Yellowdog Linux, and the MOL
author for their fantastic work. I LOVE this product. For X windows
interfaces from my mac to Linux, I previously had to use a product
called eXodus from white pine software which is expensive, buggy, and
basically lame. They sold me a version that crashed constantly, and
then wanted me to "upgrade" to fix the problems. HAH! forget it. They
did work with me on the problems, however, but that is not enough.

1. I put the suggested adb command into the bootX append parameters,
but the "emulate third button" maps to my right hand control key (on
an extended adb keyboard plugged into my March 1998 G3 laptop). This
is also annoying, and was hard to find. Is there any way to find the
key numbers that I could use in the append= line in bootX to set my
third button emulation to the key that I really want it to be?

2. Also, when I boot MOL, mol slowly grinds down to an incredibly
slow pace. Linux works fine, and the window can be minimised with no
problems. There are many complaints by MOL about the kernel being
incorrect and patches that are applied. I am using MacOS 8.6, the
stock YDL 1.2.1 LINUX kernel (2.2.17-???), and have not yet found a
kernel update to match the one that MOL wants (2.2.18-???).

I suspect that the reason floppies, and CD's don't boot, and
networking does not work is either causing, or due to the slow down.
I booted up MOL with a CD loaded in the tray, the other day, and upon
opening a program (a child's game), it took 15 minutes just to get
through the splash page at the beginning of the program.

3. I cannot get the bigger resolution on my screen that I get with a
non MOL mac boot. Does anyone else know how I can increase from
800X600 to something bigger (my hardware is explained in item 1).

4. One of the main networking programs I use is eudora, and I would
like to switch to a similar GUI based LINUX based emailer that will
run IMAP (NOT netscape). KDE mail was nice, but did not do imap too
well. This would reduce the need to even boot MOL. Does anyone have a
suggestion?

Thanks in advance!
Blair.

At 00:51 +0100 2000/12/06, Riccardo Gusso wrote:
>It is the third time I write about this topic, but this problem is driving
>me crazy! When I save a mol session pressing F12 and then restart it giving
>again the command 'startmol &' from the console I launched it the first
>time, then the resumed session freezes after a little time I started it,
>in the sense that I can
>only move the mouse but do nothing else. If I try to kill the current
>application with Option+Command+Esc then the mouse arrow disappears too and
> if I switch back to the console from which I started Mol I can see
>the error message:
>Unimplemented store instruction 4C000064.
>So, is it possible to change the button for saving from F12 to something
>else: I often press it by mistake instead of del button ;-)
>Bye.
>--
>"Like a bird on the wire
> like a drunk in a midnight choir
> I tried in my way to be free."
> L. Cohen, "Bird on the wire"

Computer Engineering Inc. http://www.compeng.net
Phone: 780 499 5687 (9 - 5 MST) Fax: 780 435 0693 (24 Hours)