Re: what to do with oftree when new-world booting?

Subject: Re: what to do with oftree when new-world booting?
From: Wilhelm Fitzpatrick (rafial@well.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 11:48:36 MST

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 09:15:07AM -0800, Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > What should the oftree parameter in molrc be set to when booting using a
> > new world ROM (on an old-world machine)?
> >
> > Should it be commented out? Should it be set to oftree/oftree.nw ?
>
> It isn't used. The oftree.nw file is specified using the
> oftree_nw keyword. By default, no oftree_nw resource is in included
> in the /etc/molrc file since there should be no need to change the
> default value (oftree/oftree.nw).

Okay, the reason I ask is some of the things that have happened in my
continuing quest to boot MOL on my PB3400. Booting of the hard drive,
which has 8.6 installed stubborn refuses to get past the MacOS splash
screen, where I get the message "this startup disk cannot be used with
this computer". I originally was booting with the 1.6 NW ROM, I then
copied and stripped the 1.4 NW ROM which I found in my system folder, and
tried booting with that, with the same results.

I also tried booting off my Techtools Pro 3.0 CD, which has MacOS 9.0.4 on
it. Booting with the 1.6 ROM I got the message "The ROM is too old to
boot MacOS 9.0.4. I then copied and stripped the ROM found in the system
folder on the Techtools Pro CD (it seems to have a version number of
5.2.1) and attempted to boot with that. That produced a number of errors
in MOL boot, including a number of failed attempts to open things that
looked like odd OF paths, which lead me to wonder about oftree...

-raf