RE: MOL, extension loading, G3 L2 upgrades

Subject: RE: MOL, extension loading, G3 L2 upgrades
From: Pete Crayne (pcrayne1@gte.net)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 15:53:14 MST

I have a similar setup. I've got a PowerCenter 150 with a SonnetTech G3
upgrade card.

It will run LinuxPPC OK without loading the G3 extension, unless I enable
the "Set G3 cache" option in BootX.
If I enable "Set G3 cache" and the G3 extension hasn't run before BootX,
then LinuxPPC will freeze on boot.
I use Conflict catcher to force the G3 extension to load before the BootX
extension, but you could just as easily do this by renaming them.
To be honest, I don't notice any speed difference between "Set G3 cache"
enabled or disabled.

As for MOL, it doesn't seem to be a problem loading the G3 extension again.
The one inside MOL just doesn't do anything. (It has a little animation when
it activates.)
Your mileage may vary.
You recall correctly. You can set CC to "Always Open on Startup" (or use a
hotkey), then create an "MOL" set that doesn't contain the G3 extension or
BootX. You can even hook your CC set into the location manager, and have
different AppleTalk & TCP/IP settings for MOL. When you switch sets it will
probably make you reboot, which will exit MOL. This is irritating, but if
you hardly ever reboot your system it doesn't happen very often.

PS: Keep in mind that if your system can't run LinuxPPC as is, it still
won't run LinuxPPC with the G3 card. (AFAIK)