Problems with Mol on 3400c solutions .......

Subject: Problems with Mol on 3400c solutions .......
Stephen.Tate@astrazeneca.com
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 08:25:54 MST

Dear all,

I hope that some people other than those batteling to get MOL running on a
3400 read this.
Following is a report of attempting to upgrade MOL and return to an older
version.

The working system is :
2.2.17pre7 kernel, Mol 0.9.48, Rom files: 8600 rom and rom.nw from 8.6
install disk. MacOS 8.6 on separate partition.

Thanks to all those who helped me get to this state and a search of the list
will see the number of messages which helped me get started. The system
listed above is bomb proof and as yet I have had no problems with it. I
compiled the kernel myself and included the MOL patches etc. MAC OS will
boot from either the 8600 rom or the new world rom file. Molrc file was
supplied but has been tweeked.

Advancement : Many people have been trying to set up MOL on their 3400 with
different versions. I have tried 0.9.53-1 from the MOL web site removing
0.9.48 and installing.

Initially I get kernel mismatch errors but the system still runs, Then I get
video errors which it then tells me to run molvconfig (?). I do this and
fantastically it appears to select the correct video settings. I then
restart mol and ..... I get the bong and then I get a grey screen it does
not go further. I have tried both Rom files and still the same result. I can
not test OS9 as I do not have a copy that I can install on this machine and
8.6 is much better on this machine.

This is a problem that I have seen before. I used to run linuxppc on a Beige
G3 it worked fantastically until I switched back to MacOS issuing the reboot
-n command resulted in a grey screen and the disks not starting to spin the
only hope was to switch the machine off. I never sorted this and nobody on
the main list had any ideas. But removal of the SCSI disk that I had in the
G3 removed the problem?

I would love to get 0.9.53 running as it seems from the documentation much
better. I have not tried are a newer version of the kernel file, which may
help and I have not really tried to play with teh molrc file or the video
file.

From the tests that I have done I would say that there appears to be
something wrong with the 0.9.53 for 3400c

Any suggestions I am willing to try anything at the moment MOL does work on
a 3400 and its very impressive when you have X in one console, MacOS and a
Linux console running intel friends just wish .....

Yours

Stephen Tate