Re: Networking problem

Subject: Re: Networking problem
From: Philippe Lelédy (phl@leledy.org)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 02:48:33 MST

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Jarek Spirydowicz wrote:

> on 27-12-00 22:32, Chris Boot wrote:
>

> > You can't have the same IP address assigned to Mac OS under MOL and Linux:
> > it's like having two computers on a LAN with the same IPs. You'll have to
> > get another IP under Mac OS or Linux for things to work, unless you use the
> > ipmasq way, where you would choose an arbitrary IP address (other than the
> > Linux one).
> >
> Not quite. You can have the same IP assigned to Mac OS under MOL and Linux.
> I do so and it works, without masquerading, afpd or IP-forwarding. I use
> only Appletalk (Ethertalk) under MOL to connecting with another Mac?s in my
> LAN. For WWW or ftp I have Linux.
> BTW it?s exactly what I need. Big thanks, Samuel and others! :D

I agree and disagree. YES you can work very fine as said above (I did it
for a while) but NO you can't have same IP adress. In fact, the very
simple mode of operation described above is: -- IP is for Linux only and
Appletalk is for MOL only --, so there are no confusions, absolutly no IP
networking under MOL, so MOL has really no IP adress at all ! That's why
it's so simple to have it work. It's noteworthy that Apple formely used
Appletalk only protocols and now offer us the choice between Appletalk and
TCP/IP, that's great!

Salutations.