Re: Mac-on-Linux must be started by root?

Subject: Re: Mac-on-Linux must be started by root?
From: Kyle Wheeler (memoryhole@mac.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 10:05:39 MST

> MOL 0.9.40-1, LinuxPPC kernel 2.2.12 on an
> Apple 1999 PowerBook G3 ("bronze") with 128 MB RAM
>
>startmol seems to be happy only when it's run by root. I only vaguely
>remember how to set the sticky bit; can I do something to startmol so
>that I may run it as a regular user?

Setting the SUID bit is easy. First, you have to make sure that the
owner of the startmol file is root, by doing "chown root
/path/to/startmol". Then set the other bit with "chmod u+s
/path/to/startmol". Now if this works, tell me - I'd love to not have
to be root to start up mol the first time. (note: after you run it
once as root, (actually, once it patches the kernel as root - it
doesn't even have to completely start up) you can run it again as
your regular user)

Hope that helps,
~Kyle Wheeler
memoryhole@mac.com

---
Mac for productivity. Linux for development.
Palm for mobility. Windows for laughs.