Mac-on-Linux FAQ

Subject: Mac-on-Linux FAQ
From: Philippe Lelédy (pleledy001@cybercable.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 09:00:15 MST

I suggest these additions to MOL FAQ.
----------------
Q. Who make the decision about the screen resolution MOL uses ?

A. It is not the X window manager.
The actual decision is made by MacOS Monitors and Sound control-panel.
Once you have chosen the good resolution it will be remenbered from one boot
to another, thanks to the NVRAM mechanism.
The choices offered within the MacOS control-panel depends on the Linux file /etc/fb.modes.
The size in /etc/molrc is used only in the first stage of MacOS boot process.
---------------
Q. Can I use both MOL on its own VT (console_video) and under X-window (xvideo)

A. YES, but if the screen resolution you've chosen is not compatible with your hardware video
the xvideo will be the only to work.
---------------
Q. Why have MOL X-Window gotten the title (slow video) ?

A. I only knew, from Samuel, how to get rid of this title:
by switching to more colors in MacOS Monitors and Sound control-panel.
--------------
Q. Can I share disk partitions between MacOS and Linux ?

A1. YES.
A2. NO, you can't have a partition r/w under boths OSes.
A3. YES, you can exchange data via disk partitions in both directions.
You have to choose one partition for sending data Linux --> MacOS and
another for sending data MacOS --> Linux.
Both have to be HFS partitions.
The first has to be mounted r/w under Linux,
it will be r/o under MacOS despite /etc/molrc.
The second has to be mounted r/o under Linux and declared r/w in /etc/molrc.
A4. NO, it's not very convenient.
A5. YES, it's more convenient tu use AppleShare IP on the MacOS side and AFPD
 on the Linux side, and so to have a directory r/w by both OSes.
For this to work, you don't need the full netatalk system, only afpd and an IP connection between
both OSes is necessary.
-------------
Q. Can I use Ethertalk ?

A. YES. If you have the default

disable_osi_enet: no
enet_interface: eth0

in your /etc/molrc.

At the same time, you will be able to use eth0 for IP connection
under LinuxPPC and for Ethertalk connection under MacOS.
-------------
Q. Can I establish an IP connection between both OSes ?

A1. NO, it is not possible with eth0 or lo beeing enet_interface:
A2. YES, you can with
 enet_interface: tap0
but before, you need a kernel with ethertap support.
You will have to compile a kernel, or to wait for Benjamin Herrenschmidt to
release a pre-compiled kernel with ethertap support.

The whole system is explained in

http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200001/msg00984.html

You don't need IP Masquerading if you are interested only in IP connections
between LinuxPPC and MacOS.
---------
Q. Can I have IP connectivity from MOL to outside world ?

A. Yes, using the same mechanism as above with IP Masquerade enabled.
Once more, you can't use pre-compiled kernels because
they lack IP Masquerade support.
--------
Q. Can I have both IP and Appletalk connections from MOL ?

A1. NO. If you choose eth0, you have Ethertalk only, if you choose tap0, you have
IP only.

A2. NO. You would like having tap0 for IP connectivity under MacOS and
netatalk, on Linux side, for bridging Appletalk traffic between tap0 and the
actual NIC, eth0, but unfortunatedly netatalk refuses to initialize tap0.

A3. YES, if the Appletalk services you need are offered to IP clients.
Using tap0, you have IP connectivity and hence, you can use Appletalk services
under IP:
a) AppleShare IP from MacOS chooser gives you access to any AppleShare IP server,
for instance afpd from netatalk run under Linux side.
b) Desktop Printing Utility, gives you access to any LPR/LPD server, for instance
a papd from netatalk driving an Appletalk printer.
But beware of a fatal bug in LaserWriter 8.6.5 and MacOS 8.6

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24907