Re: MOL on G4

Subject: Re: MOL on G4
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 14:58:47 MST

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 11:55:28PM -0500, Diego Zamboni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, I finally had the time during the weekend to try and install MOL on my
> G4 Yikes running a 2.2.14pre9 kernel. The MOL documentation says that the
> patches for making it run on G4 "have not been yet incorporated into the
> source tree". However, I could not find much on the mailing list archives.
>
> So I tried it anyway. It installed fine, but when I ran it (as root, for it to
> do the runtime patches) the screen went blank and the machine hung up. Had to
> press the reset button.
>
> Any pointers to the patches for G4, or to any other source of information,
> will be very appreciated.

There is a conflict with the altivec support in the 2.2.14pre9
kernel. To maintain binary compatibility, MOL tries to figure out
if the running kernel was compiled with altivec support or not.
Unfortunately, this check gives the wrong answer in the
2.2.14 case.

Recompiling the module won't help (I'll add a compile
option in the next release to discard the compatibility
code). Anyway, it should work if you upgrade to the
2.2.15 kernel.

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470