Re: startmol crashs

Subject: Re: startmol crashs
From: Brandyn Webb (brandyn@sifter.org)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 14:07:50 MST

        I had a similar sounding problem with Yellowdog, and noticed
some complaints in the startup process that indicated to
me a possible mismatched or insufficient kernel, so I dug
around the net for a newer kernel and found vmlinux-2.2.12,
installed that, and then it worked like a charm. Unfortunately,
I don't remember where I got it (it was precompiled, ready to
go -- ah, trusting soul am I). Also, I was only able to make
it work with the No Video Driver option checked in BootX
despite a few attempts to follow other people's Lombard success
stories. Also note that this was a month or so ago, so ymmv
with respect to the current version of mol, current versions
of linux out there on the net, etc... Also note that installing
the new kernel is a wee bit of a trick since you need to boot
linux to install the map file (I forget what it's called), and
then install the matching kernel on MacOS, and hope nothing gets
out of sync. :) [Anybody know why the map file is separate
rather than being some sort of symbol table built into the kernel?
Sorry, linux newbie here...]

        Hope this helps, 'cause I can't really spell out any
more details since at present I am not booting Linux on my powerbook
at all since I need the networking (email, VPN, and most importantly
the ability to run a certain client application on the Mac which will
talk to a server application on Linux) and haven't had the time
to wrangle with that.

        If anybody A) knows how to get accelerated video working
on the Lombard, or B) knows how to get networking working cleanly
between mol and yellowdog with both also able to access a LAN,
please lemme know. Thanks,

        -Brandyn