Re: MoL on remote linux box

Subject: Re: MoL on remote linux box
From: Robert Neugebauer (rneugeba@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 06:53:25 MST

On a remote machine, there would be no way to run it in console mode.
mol wouldn't have access to the console for a remote machine, and even if
it did, standard unix dumb terminals don't even have a console mode. The
dumb terminals at my university boot of off network servers, and they boot
X. Thus I mol were able to boot into console mode on remote machine, it
would appear in the server room, not where I was.

I don't remember if I explained why you want to disable console mode in
your molrc. One problem that I had was that teh remote X didn't like the
resolution that I ran mol in. Thus is would start on the X server, but
instead would start on full screen mode on my local machine. I would then
need to kill mol in order to be able to end the ssh session. This led to a
few problems with my MacOS startup drive, so I changed the config to
ensure that if it couldn't bring up a window in X, it wouldn't start
MacOS.

Bob