Re: file system map inconsistent

Subject: Re: file system map inconsistent
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 10:32:23 MDT

On Thu, Jun 1, 2000, Erick Singley <singley@baldr.niaaa.nih.gov> wrote:

>>I have been unable to get MOL running on my machine and am looking
>>for some help. It gets as far as the Welcome to Mac OS screen at
>>which point it crashes with a system error and the message "file
>>system map inconsistent". Is this the error you get when the
>>System.map doesn't match vmlinux, or is this a different message?
>>I'm quite sure my System.map matches my vmlinux.
>><chop>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>David
>
>I'm a unix newbie, but could this message help?

No, this message has nothing to do with System.map. it's a MacOS error
message that basically tells you that some internal file system data
structures have become corrupted.

I've seen this error poping up regulary on recent macs (without MOL, I
mean with a real MacOS) for no apparent reason. I think there's a weird
bug in MacOS 9 and later causing this to happen occasionally during
driver load time. I'm not yet sure but it may be related to some issues
in the USB subsystem of MacOS.

I suggest you check you have up-to-date MacOS ROM (I think the latest one
is 3.8 and comes with the "Ethernet Update"), MacOS disk drivers, etc...
Eventually, you can try re-installing your MacOS.