Failed upgrade to 9.0.4

Subject: Failed upgrade to 9.0.4
From: David (dsmol@ddv.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 16:29:47 MDT

I recently attempted an upgrade of MacOS to 9.0.4 (from 9.0) from the
MacOS side of my G4. I didn't think anything of it, but blindly told the
system to update my disk drivers.

Upon rebooting, I came across lots and lots of ide timeouts on hda-hdd. It
was so bad that I couldn't boot linux after all this. My suspicion is that
something updated the ide controller or loaded some code into the
controller that my linux kernel (I tried lots of kernels too) didn't like.

I then tried (yes, it was silly...) to 'dd' the driver partitions from a
friends working disk, but that hosed my drive so badly that none of the
MacOS drive partitioning software wouldn recognize it and Apple Support
told me that I would have to send it in for repair. I ended up 'dd'ing my
friend's entire disk just so drive setup would see it and let me format it
and start over again.

I'm now running the "stock" 9.0 from the Repair CD which came with the
G4.

Has anyone else successfully gone from 9.0 to 9.0.4 on a LinuxPPC box
running MOL. I have one 10GB ide drive with ~3G for mac, ~5G for linux and
some spare space.

Should I try the upgrade again? (do I have another 2 days to waste?!)

-David