Networking, netatalk and MOL

Subject: Networking, netatalk and MOL
From: Christoph Ewering (eweri@uni-paderborn.de)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 17:03:56 MDT

Hello everybody!

I´m using mol for a week now and it is impressive :-)

But today I want to figure out how I can exchange files with linux.
I have netatalk switched on, but cause I´m using a pismo I have
problems with afpd (still a multicast-problem in the ethernet-driver)

So I plugged my pismo into our office-network and did some testing.
I was able to mount an AppleShare via netatalk onto a second mac.
(Can not select it in the chooser, have to typ the IP-adress of the
linux-part of my pismo). I was able to read from and write to that
share. Then I switched to mol and mounted a share from our office-
ASIP-server. Still no problem.
But I was not able to mount a netatalk-share into mol.

This was the ping-situation:

linux -> second mac o.k.
mol -> second mac o.k.
mol -> linux and linux -> mol can not ping at all.

linux, mol and second mac are all on the same network.
linux and mol can not talk to each other.

what did I do wrong?

Next point:
That I can not see any AppleTalk-Server on the network is related to
the fact that the pismo and G4 still have problems with multicast and
so can not speak AppleTalk at all, right?

This is what I got when I started atalkd:
root@linuxmac root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start
Starting AppleTalk services: eth0: Invalid argument
Can't configure multicast.
eth0: disabled.atalkd: zero interfaces, exiting.
bind: Cannot assign requested address [FAILED]
bind: Cannot assign requested address

Using kernel 2.2.15 rsynced about two weeks ago against linux-pmac-stable.

Thats all,
        bye Christoph

--
Dipl. Ing. Christoph Ewering    C & E Informationsdienste GbR
0 52 54 80 68 66 oder 0172 78 50 86 4