Startup Bomb Box: "File System Map Inconsistent"

Subject: Startup Bomb Box: "File System Map Inconsistent"
From: Randall R Schulz (rrschulz@cris.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 08:16:03 MDT

Hi,

I'd really like to use MOL, but I consistently get the bomb box
during startup stating "File System Map Inconsistent." This has
occurred with 0.9.41, 42, 44 and still now in 47. Unlike one other
poster here, I've never seen this error under naked MacOS. There are
no other problems apparent in launching MOL.

I'm wondering if the problem could be related to fact that I have
several MacOS partitions that are not set for automatic mounting,
since I'm holding them in reserve for future needs and don't want my
desktop cluttered with volume icons for volumes I'm not using.

The kernel I'm using is dubbed: "vmlinux-2.2.15pre14-ben1". I have a
Blue G3, early rev, Rage128 (of course), 384 megabytes of main store,
three SCSI drives on two SCSI busses, one of which is the
still-unsupported Initio Miles 9100-UW (could the presence of this
board be part of the problem?), a Macally 104-key, USB keyboard and a
Logitech 3-button USB mouse. I use XFree86, not XPmac.

Do the others who've reported this problem have a similar
configuration? Has anybody who has this problem resolved it? Does
anyone have the problem on an intermittent basis? For me it happens
100% of the time and I've never actually been able to run MOL because
of it.

One person suggested that it might be related to the USB subsystem. I
find this odd, since I have no file system devices on USB. Does
anyone with this problem have mass storage devices on a USB bus? Does
anyone else have the problem with no file storage devices on USB?

If a developer would like more information or would like me to run
any tests, I'd be happy to help. I'm a programmer myself, so I'm sure
I could deal with any special actions required for such tests.

I'd appreciate any help--MOL would be a big boon to me and I'd love
to be able to run it. In fact it's why I added another 128 megabytes
of memory to my system!

Thanks.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA