Re: MOL speed - some benchmarks

Subject: Re: MOL speed - some benchmarks
From: Geoff Ghose (geoff@focus.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 12:46:13 MDT

Michael Samuel wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 07:51:39PM +0000, Geoff Ghose wrote:
> > Helios LanTest (over 10 BT to switched 100BT netatalk server)
> >
> > Write 1068 KB/s
> > Read 969 KB/s
>
> > VNC as display, no other process taking up much CPU (mol reads 99% CPU)
>
> > Helios LanTest
> > Write 204.22 KB/s
> > Read 810.45 KB/s
>
> Is it possible to try that test with a local display?
>
> --
> -- Michael Samuel <michael@miknet.net>

I assume your thought was that VNC was somehow hogging up the bandwidth. Not true. Here's
the
numbers for X window display:

Write 181 KB/s
Read 755 Kb/s

Interestingly, I tried turning unique_ethernet OFF and mol consistently crashes. Yet
older versions of MOL (
like 0.9.47) worked without the unique ethernet. So I currently can't test the speed
consequences of that option.