Re: error about kernal on start up

Subject: Re: error about kernal on start up
From: Paul Krohn (krohn@examiner.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 12:02:28 MST

i believe that the problem here is that your System.map file doesn't
match your kernel -- which is no huge surprise on linux for powerpc.
everybody seems to think they need a pre-compiled kernel.

there's a previous thread about compiling your own kernel, so i'll just
gloss over it:

1 - obtain kernel source from ftp.us.kernel.org. 2.2.14 is the most
recent stable kernel - the 2.3.x ones are development, so don't bother
with those (source trees are generally about 15 MB, if you're in dialup
this can take a while).
2 - unpack the source in /usr/src. you should now have a directory
/usr/src/linux that contains the source code.
3 - 'make menuconfig' for a menu-based kernel configuration. choose
carefully, make sure to enbale the mac-specific things that you see,
such as your video card, ethernet, and scsi controllers. hfs support is critical.
4 - 'make dep' makes sure all the correct files are in place.
5 - 'make' takes a while and compiles the kernel. it will create /usr/src/linux/vmlinux.
6 - it also creates the System.map file, which you chould copy to
/boot/System.map. This file is important for MOL, as i understand,
because it says precisely where in the kernel MOL needs to patch.
7 - copy the vlimux file to System Folder:Linux Kernels. give it a
meaningful name so you can choose it next time you boot up.

ironically, step 7 can be the hardest part. you need to have an hfs
partition you can mount from linux (which also requires the hfs kernel
module), or a place on the network you can copy the vmlinux file to --
you may have to resort to your web page space from your isp if you're on
dialup and can't get the hfs stuff to work.