networking help needed

Subject: networking help needed
From: Mike Engelhart (mengelhart@earthtrip.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 05:51:32 MST

Hi -

After digging through the archived MOL mailing list and LinuxPPC user list
archive, I have decided that using ethertap with IP masquerading is the
preferred way to set up MOL networking to route through my PPP connection.
(At my office, I have a Linux box doing masquerading for an internal network
so it works fine when I just assign it a static IP address given from that
box - PPP at home is what's causing me problems)
First off, i am not a networking wizard so i was basically following
directions from a bunch of posts and links to websites. I can safely say i
tried them all and haven't been able to get it working.

Here are my configuration files/scripts, etc.

System: running LinuxPPC 2000 with a fresh (2.2.15pre14) copy of Paul's
kernel from linuxcare.com.au. Compiled with ip masquerading and ethertap
(neither are compiled as modules).

/etc/molrc (relevant part only)
#####
disable_osi_enet: no
enet_interface: tap0

regarding the /etc/sysconfig/network file I don't understand whether or not
GATEWAYDEV or GATEWAY need to have values or not. Normal PPP networking
works without anything here but none of the posts or information pages
talked about this.

/etc/sysconfig/network
#####
HOSTNAME=localhost
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=yes
GATEWAYDEV=
GATEWAY=

and last but not least my startup script:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/ifconfig tap0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up arp
/sbin/route add -host 192.168.0.1 tap0
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/tap0/proxy_arp
/sbin/arp -s 192.168.0.2 FE:FD:00:00:00:00 pub

/sbin/modprobe -k ip_masq_ftp
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr
/sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 160
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQ

any help or information on how to get this working or if I just have some
typo or something would be greatly appreciated. I've been screwing around
for 2 days with this and have to get back to work :-)

Thanks,

Mike