MOL on a G3: Need to buy MacOS upgrade?

Subject: MOL on a G3: Need to buy MacOS upgrade?
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen (janneke@gnu.org)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 03:02:40 MST

Hi List,

I've been regularly trying to run MOL during the past year; it always
 failed. My machine is a beige G3, MacOS 8.1 (Dutch).

Now I find this quote (http://www.maconlinux.org/rom.html)

    Boot ROMs from other computers might work too (please
    report success or failure!). ROMs from G3, iMac, iBook and
    PowerBoook do NOT work. This is really not an issue since it
    is possible to use a NewWorld ROM instead (recommended on
    ALL machines).

But NewWorld ROM's are only available as of MacOS 8.6, no?

Does this mean I must buy a new version of MacOS? I'm very
much reluctant to do so. What's more: Apple's technotes don't
even mention MacOS > 8.1 (eg 8.6.x) to be supported on my machine.

What am I missing?

Greetings,

Jan.

--