Re: lpr desktop printers

Subject: Re: lpr desktop printers
From: R Shapiro (reshapiro@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 12:37:49 MST

Still continuing. Feel free to chime in any time...

R Shapiro writes:
> Does anyone on this list understand enough about tcp and lpr to see
> why MacOS is repeating the request? I think what we have here may be
> a general macos-linuxppc compatibility problem that has nothing
> specifically to do with mol or ethertap or anything else at that
> level.

I just ran the further experiment of making an lpr request to this
linux box from a MacOS lpr desktop printer, but this time it was a
truly remote MacOS, as opposed to one running on the same box with
ethertap. Everything worked fine. The trace from this session also
showed two lpr requests but this time the second request, instead of
being a repeat of the first, was different (it specified some
options). There were also some extra bytes at the end of the packets
but these may be just padding.

Conlusion: MOL and/or ethertap are screwing up this protocol, for
reasons unknown.

I can't do anything further with this. I hope someone who can, will.
I have traces, I have a box to try experiments on, and I have a strong
interest in getting this really very elegant and valuable solution to
work.

--
reshapiro@mediaone.net