Re: ethertap and atalk

Subject: Re: ethertap and atalk
From: Mike James (mwjames@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 09:32:00 MST

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:43:35 -0500, R Shapiro <reshapiro@mediaone.net> said:

> Can someone please post a coherent explanation of what's
> required to get ethertap in mol to support appletalk?
> Something more than "add a #define to the source" would be
> helpful. At the least, we need to know what source - the
> kernel ethertap driver? something in mol? -- and what #define.

I was puzzled, too, but the answer turns out to be easy (at least for
a 2.2 kernel):

In the 2.2 kernel source (I rsync mine from Paulus), edit this file:

  drivers/net/ethertap.c

adding this one line after the includes:

  #define CONFIG_ETHERTAP_MC

and rebuild/reboot the kernel.

I'm not yet clear on the details, but the most obvious benefit I notice is
AppleShare volumes on the network now show up by name in MOL's Chooser. I
can also now specify "tap0" in netatalk's atalkd.conf, and my Linux-side
netatalk-shared volume names appear in the Chooser, presumably visible
only to my local MOL's Mac OS.

Mike

--
Mike James <mwjames@pobox.com>
Mac OS (9/X), Linux, and NetBSD advocate,