networking with mol/molvconfig

Subject: networking with mol/molvconfig
From: Gérard Degrez (degrez@vki.ac.be)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 06:23:39 MST

A great many thanks to R. Shapiro for his explanations, I'm feeling a
little less stupid now. I didn't realize that support for ethertap
could be included in the kernel independently of MOL. BTW, apart from
its use together with MOL, what kind of things could ethertap be used
for?
So, I first configured my virtual LAN over the ethertap device using
the instructions of Takeshi Oe

> Configure tap0
/sbin/ifconfig tap0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up arp
/sbin/route add -host 192.168.0.1 tap0
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/tap0/proxy_arp
/sbin/arp -s 192.168.0.2 FE:FD:00:00:00:00 pub

This worked nicely. I could ftp between MOL and LinuxPPC. Two remarks though:
- the initial connection was rather slow (no big deal, but has this
been experienced by others as well?), after which the file transfer
themselves were really fast.
- from MOL, I couldn't connect by ftp (Fetch) as root. Is that
normal? Is there a direct way out? Of course, I can upload files to
LinuxPPC under a username and then move the files as superuser under
LinuxPPC, but isn't there a more direct solution?

The next step now is to get the masquerading working.

Besides, I tried to use molvconfig, but apparently, I don't have it
with my version of MOL (0.9.50-1): the find command returned no
match. Is this utility to be downloaded separately? I couldn't find
it on the MOL download page though.

Gérard Degrez

Gérard Degrez.