Network and sound problems with MoL

Subject: Network and sound problems with MoL
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@andromeda.dsdk12.net)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 08:53:29 MST

Ok, I do have MoL up and running, and I got sound and networking going for
the most part, but I'm still having some lingering problems.

First: Networking. No matter what I do, after a while of network traffic,
MoL will hang up (commonly with 'WARNING: Ethernet packet dropped' on the
terminal it was run from (or my .xsession-errors file if I start it from
the menu). It'll be fine for a few minutes, but just suddenly stops.

Second: Sound. I finally figured out how to enable sound in MoL, but I'm
still having troubles with it (other than that mixer control with the
dmasound_awacs driver is broken, but that's another subject). If I allow
the sound to play at 44.1 kHz, all I get is squeaking and beeping - no
good. If I push it to a lower bitrate, it'll play sound, but if it's more
than a couple seconds long (i.e., playing the Dungeons and Dragons trailer
in QT format), the sound will stop for a second, then continue, then stop
again, getting progressively more out of sync. Also, the values shown in
the Sound control panel in MacOS always get flipped back to 44.1 kHz,
16-bit, stereo. I don't know if that's an MoL-level issue, or if it's the
AWACS sound driver being an ass (quite possible, even after getting that
working, there's been continuing weirdness).

Thanks for any feedback, and I should say thanks for the rest of MoL -
other than these two items, it works quite nicely.

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School| _ #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | | | and now OPN too!
   Student @ South Dakota School of Mines | __| |___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ ____
       & Technology (www.sdsmt.edu) |/ _ / -_) ' \ '\/ _ \ ' \ (____)
UNIX: Because you want to USE your computer.|\___,\___|_||_||_\___/_||_|