Re: Keyboard trouble

Subject: Re: Keyboard trouble
From: Chris Backas (cb@gosargon.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 12:58:41 MST

Hello Robert,

> > I have MOL 0.9.53-1 installed.
> I hope not. 0.9.53-2 is the correct version... 53-1 shouldn't even
> work.

This appears to be a small error in the RPM file actually - rpm -q on my system
indeed tell me that I have mol 0.9.53-1, but I just downloaded the -2 rpm, tried an
rpm -Uvh and got told that I already have 0.9.53-1 installed. Maybe it's just a
mistake in the RPM someplace?

> > I've finally managed to get the LAN working
> > by creating an Ethertap device and masquerading from it to my eth0, and
> running
> > dhcpd on the tap interface. It seems my final hurdle to having MOL be useful
> > is the keyboard.
> >
> > I've tried dozens of settings in the mol config file for the keyboard type,
> and
> > none of them even come close to working. I can't find a single keyboard key
> > that works as expected inside MOL =\ I *suspect* that this is because I'm
> > using the new input layer in Ben H's kernel, but I'm not sure about this. If
> > this is the case, is there a fix coming soon for this problem (as I assume the
> > new input layer is going to be adopted across the board eventually)
> The config file gives some information as to how to determine the
> keyboard type...the keyboard information is printed to screen at boot...a
> copy of the boot log should be @ /var/log/boot.log - check there.

There's no message regarding the keyboard that I've ever been able to see during
boot, nor find in any logs. The FAQ and the molrc itself give a sample of the line
in question, but it's an ADB keyboard in those examples; mine is the new USB Pro
keyboard - and this is exactly why I'm suspecting the new input layer in the newest
kernels (as an option) I've used Apple's gestalt.h to find Apple's 'master' list
of keyboard IDs, and I've tried any one of htem that sound reasonable, but none
give results that are even close.

Chris Backas