Re: Freeze after startup

Subject: Re: Freeze after startup
From: philippe tapon (philippe@ufoh.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 20:32:00 MST

Tony Sciortino wrote:

> First off, I am new at mol so take it easy on me.
> Running LinuxPPC 2000 with kernerl 2.2.18pre21-4cpmac - New G4 box.
> I installed the latest 0.9.53-2 from scratch. I first removed
> the mol that came with LinuxPPC. I used the rpm.
> It installs, I get my rom image, check out molrc run startmol
> as root, mol starts to boot and I get all the way to the desktop.
> As soon as the desktop is fully loaded, it freezes. Sometimes I
> get a finder error and says reboot but by then it is too late.

> HFS disk: 50 MB, /dev/hdb [read-only] start: 1544, len:
> 102400
> HFS disk: 39081 MB, /dev/hda [read-only] start: 704, len:

Some, but not all, Mac images can boot off a read-only [locked] disk.
Yours might be unable to. As a first step you might try changing your
mol config file to make sure that the Mac drives are mounted read-write
rather than read-only. If they are already mounted read-write, make
sure they're not already mounted on the Linux side before you boot MOL
as Linux will effectively lock them. If you must have access to the Mac
drives from the Mac side and from the Linux side simultaneously, connect
them via ethernet (previous posts have covered this in detail)--you can
mount the Linux box on the Mac desktop via AppleTalk. If this is not
feasible for one reason or another you can mount the Mac volumes
read-write on the Mac desktop in MOL, and then mount them read-write on
the Linux side--but with two OSes simultaneously accessing one disk you
may be in for disk corruption later. Another approach is to try to run
the MacOS with fewer extensions, as it is typically the extensions that
freeze the boot from a locked disk.

Hope this helps.

philippe