Re: ethernet dhcp, mol ethertap, doesn't work

Subject: Re: ethernet dhcp, mol ethertap, doesn't work
From: R Shapiro (rshapiro@bbn.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 10:25:10 MDT

Samuel Rydh writes:
> > - created ethertap dev node
> > crw-r--r-- 1 root root 36, 16 Oct 17 19:26 /dev/tap0
> This is not necessary (the /dev/tap0 interface is obsolete, the
> tap device is accessed through netlink).

Even better. Given this, do I need ethertap support in the kernel at
all? My preferred kernel does not include ethertap (I'm pretty sure I
did include netlink when I configured it). I built a new kernel with
ethertap just for mol, and I'd rather go back to my usual kernel if I
can.

> > echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/tap0/proxy_arp
> > /sbin/arp -s 192.168.1.2 FE:FD:00:00:00:00 pub
> Since 0.9.50, this should *not* be done. MOL handles ARP
> requests automatically (addig an explicit ARP entry might
> break networking).

Ah ha. That's what I get for relying on old archives :)

> >I did nothing specific to the MacOS tcp/ip control panel, since this
> >was never mentioned in the articles I read (seems weird).
> OK (assuming you have set IP 192.168.1.2 and netmask 255.255.255.0
> and gateway 192.168.1.1).

No, when I said nothing I meant literally nothing, which is why I
thought it was weird. I didn't find any mention in the archives about
doing anything at all with the MacOS control panel. It seemed like
magic, but then there's a lot about mol that seems like magic...

Many thanks for the reply, I'll try this out as soon as I get back to
the machine in question.

--
rshapiro@bbn.com