Re: ethernet dhcp, mol ethertap, doesn't work

Subject: Re: ethernet dhcp, mol ethertap, doesn't work
From: Philippe Lelédy (pleledy001@cybercable.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 13:10:12 MDT

Le Wed, 18 Oct 2000, vous avez écrit :
> > > This is not necessary (the /dev/tap0 interface is obsolete, the
> > > tap device is accessed through netlink).
> >
> > Even better. Given this, do I need ethertap support in the kernel at
> > all? My preferred kernel does not include ethertap (I'm pretty sure I
> > did include netlink when I configured it). I built a new kernel with
> > ethertap just for mol, and I'd rather go back to my usual kernel if I
> > can.
>
> Yes, you do.

What does it mean ? That he can go back to his usual kernel or that he have
to use ethertap enable kernel ?

> However, I'm thinking about bundling the ethertap kernel
> module with mol. This way, the tap device would always support AppleTalk
> (currently, it is necessary to edit the source to achieve this).
> Would this be useful?

It would be marvellous.
Perhaps is it time to write a Networking-MOL Micro-HOWTO ( 1 page).
For helping, I can send my scripts related to MOL usage so can do the
others from the list using MOL networking with DHCP outside connection.

Salutations.