Re: [Fwd: Downloading new version of MOL]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Downloading new version of MOL]
From: Fabrice Leclerc (leclerf@club-internet.fr)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 15:52:12 MDT

> *******************
> ((my equipment PCI 7600 to G3 400/1mb; mac OS8.6; linuxPPC 2000 CD
,
> kernel 2.2.17pre9-ben3 & GNOME in root mode.))
>
> All of the above does not "work" . Get same error msg
>
> BTW. can install rpms via GNOME using right click of mouse(done this
> many times)
>
> what did work was that I had to go into /files and delete,
> line-by-line, the mol package installed by the linuxPPc 2000 CD
>
> After that, mol-0.9.50-1 installed.

I'm just starting to try to play with MOL. I have a similar
configuration: MacOS 8.6, LinuxPPC 2000 and I recompiled the kernel
2.2.17 from the sources. I had some problems too with the most recent
version mol-0.9.50-1. So I decided to downgrade to the 0.9.48-1
version.
There are a number of things which can be the cause of the problem.
I'll give you some hints from my personal experience, maybe it will
help to fix your problem.

> But I do have a mol problem .After following line-by-line , the
> installation instructions delineated the mac-on-linux-user guide:
> <http://www.maconlinux.com/userguide.html> get the infamous error
> message
> "...cannot patch the kernel--etc "
>
> have everything;
> downloaded MAC OS ROM (8.6) from apple, tomed it and placed in mac
side
> system folder.
>
> On linux side; did the mount--- and strip_nwrom---operations.checked
> locations; all is well.
> rom.nw is in /usr/lib/mol/rom directory and my mac bootup drive with
the
> system folder/MAC OS ROM is in /mnt.
>
> what puzzles me is this. Since I can bootup(via bootX) from the mac
> side to the linux GNOME desktop OK, all the kernel versions on both
the
> mac and linux sides must be correct. If strip_nwrom--- links the
linux
> side with the MAC OS ROM, why no mac OS bootup when I commnad
> <startmol> ?
>
> Is it a hardware or software problem. Do I have to change something
in
> /etc/molrc ?

Be sure to specify correctly the HFS partition with the path (for
example /dev/hde7) in molrc to boot MacOS. Delete or comment out the
invalid paths. For the rest of the configuration, just follow the
same instructions you've used to install the 0.9.50-1 version as you
mentionned below.
N.B.: you might try first to do the changes in molrc, see if it can
work with the most recent version. Let me know.

> thanks for your time
>
> albert

after that, I guess it should work, i.e. at least the MOL window
should appear. However, you might get some system error messages
depending on the System Folder used to boot MacOS under Linux. I first
got some problems because of a conflict with some extensions, but it
works with a very basic MacOS 8.6.

P.S.: a question for all the MOL users: I can't resize the MOL window
using the mouse or maximize. Any idea about a way to fix this problem ?