Re: First steps with MOL

Subject: Re: First steps with MOL
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 06:49:05 MDT

>In my first tries (re: last week's query), MOL was starting correctly
>(I could see the MOL window and the beginning of MacOS startup) but
>at one point, I was getting a black window with MOL hogging the CPU
>(as reported by David Mackler). Now, switching the console_video_mode
>to no as suggested on the SuSE web site for iMacs, startup proceeds
>until completion.

In fact, it's probably proceeding in the background, even when you don't
switch. For some reason (which can be a stale prefs file, or whatever
MacOS decided to do because your screen config changed from the real
MacOS one), MacOS switched the video to something not supported by the X-
based driver.

>But the colours on the linux side are messed up. Last week, Bertrand
Dekoninck
>adviced to try 16-bit colour. I guess this meant changing the video
>mode settings in molrc. Well, I kept the video mode settings as in
>the sample file supplied with the package, i.e. 640/480/75 and color
>depth = 32.
>But, during the launching process, MOL issues the message
>"No video mode match the default one
> Starting in video mode 640x480, depth 8 0.0 Hz"
>even though I have an fb.modes file in /etc
>What should I do?

In MOL itself, look at the control strip monitor resolution, or the MacOS
Monitors (or Monitors & Sound) control panel. There's also a samble
fb.modes somewhere in the MOL package that you can put in /etc if you
don't have one.

>Finally, MOL completely messes up the desktop. Icons have been moved
>all over the place and the settings rule has now moved up at 3/4 of
>the screen when I boot under MacOS.

That's not MOL's fault ;) That's MacOS because of the resolution switch.

>2) Invisible partitions
>
>Even though I list 3 partitions in molrc, I can only see one, i.e.
>the first one. The last of the three is also mounted under linux
>which could explain the problem, as far as I can understand from the
>discussion of the week-end. But not for the second one. What's wrong?
>BTW, how does one do to get an exchange volume then, if it canot be
>mounted on the linux side?

In your /etc/molrc, you should probably replace "entire" devices (/dev/
hda, /dev/sda, ...) by specific partitions (/dev/hda10, /dev/sda3, ...).
The reason is that using entire devices will force MOL to apply the same
restrictions to all partitions on the disk (when only one of them is
mounted in Linux, all of them will be read-only in MacOS for example),
while using individual devices allow you to have different permissions
per partition.

>3) Sound
>
>I get no sound at all (even though I installed the MOL Audio
>extension), not even the system startup sound. I don't really care,
>but I am wondering why.

Did you enable MOL sound in MacOS "sound" control panel ? Do you have
sound working in Linux in general (outside of MOL) ?