Re: I desperately need help with No Sound & Can't print in MOL

Subject: Re: I desperately need help with No Sound & Can't print in MOL
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 13:45:21 MDT

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 10:45:58AM +0300, Adam wrote:
> I installed the current MOL and it runs fine in full screen but I do
> not have any sound. The sound is configured 'on' in the molrc file.
> I had also installed a mol sound extension into the extension folder
> on the mac OS 9.04 Folder. Still no sound....

You have to select it in the sound control panel (Sound Output).

> Also I have a HP DeskJet 1220c connected via USB and I can not print
> from that either.
MOL does not support direct USB access.

> It is turned on and in the Chooser it can not see it.
> But when I startup with OS 9.04 it is fine...
> I can also print in Linux. I know it has to do with MOL....

Good. This means that you can export it as a network printer
to MOL. What you should do is editing /etc/hosts.lpd to add
the IP address of MOL. Now MOL should be able to print the
linux lpd queue (you have to use the PrintTool to create
the desktop printer).

However, I just tried this and I a mysterious error. Instead,
I used netatalk (papd) to export the lpd queue as an AppleTalk
printer (and this worked nicely). The configuration is not
complicated - just add something like

LinuxQueue:\
        :pr=lp

to /etc/atalk/papd.conf. This ought to work if you are connected to
a local ethernet network and have AppleTalk up running (netatalk
is probably already configured correctly).

If you are not connected to a network, then you have to compile
ethertap with AppleTalk support and use that (although it is
possible to use eth0 without an beeing connected to a network, this
is not a good idea since there will be all kinds of problem
when the transmit buffer fills up).

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470