Re: 0.9.50: Screen redraw slower than 0.9.48?

Subject: Re: 0.9.50: Screen redraw slower than 0.9.48?
From: Christoph Ewering (eweri@cunde.de)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 04:05:54 MDT

Hello Samuel!

Samuel Rydh schrieb:

> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 11:20:50AM +0200, Christoph Ewering wrote:
> > But now I see something strange in screen redraw. Sometimes at least at
> > switching apps I can see how the finder builds up the desktop. Sometimes
> > this takes over 15 seconds to complete. This was not in 0.9.48.
> > I think this problem wasnīt there when mol uses eth0 instead of tap0.
> > (But see my other mails, network isnīt usabel with eth0)
> >

> Something is definitely wrong. What does top show? There should
> only be one mol process spending more than a few percent
> of the cpu time (none when MacOS is idle).

Well, when this slow-screen-redaw happens, mol uses 96,7 percent of the cpu.
It is very bad when I quit an application, but it also happens when I close
big windows or drag windows around. Sometimes this lasts for 30 seconds and
you can sit and watch the redraw line by line, character by character. mol
0.9.48 does not show this effect and I don not change my work in mol between
.48 and .50

> Also, you could check if there is excessive traffic on tap0 by
> doing '/usr/sbin/tcpdump -i tap0 -n' as root.

Think my first feeling was wrong I donīt think that it is a ethertap-problem
anymore.
When I use tcpdump, nothing happens, mol just uses the cpu and does slow
redraw of the screen. Sometimes the screen is not completly redrawn or I have
some garbled areas in the background-picture of the desktop.

BTW, looks to me that netdev: tap0 -tap is not reliable, have big problems to
get mol to the network, now I use netdev: tap0 -sheep this works.

My config: 2.2.17pre20, pismo, running mol on its own vt

Bye, thanks,
    Christoph

> /Samuel

> E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
> Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470

Dipl. Ing. Christoph Ewering    C & E Informationsdienste GbR
0 52 54 80 68 66 oder 0172 78 50 86 4
eweri@cunde.de