startmol >=.56 locks machine hard [was Re: Improved 9.1 support]

Subject: startmol >=.56 locks machine hard [was Re: Improved 9.1 support]
phandel@cise.ufl.edu
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 14:29:29 MDT

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> >I DL'd it and it compiled fine. I fired it up and was told it was
> >trying to patch the kernel...
> >
> >It locked my box. HARD. Dead. I had to hit the reset button!
>
> Had you run any previous version of MOL earlier? Under 2.2
> you should reboot linux before running the new version
> (to get rid of the old runtime patching stuff).
>
> Also, did you compile against the right kernel headers?

I rsync'ed linuxppc_2_4 from penguinppc.org::linux-2.4-bk ( with a slight
patch to work around the missing process_bridge_ranges function), then
rsync'ed your zorn.theophys.kth.se::mol tree into a new directory, did a
make libimport, make, make install, and startmol. It locks up the machine
hard at the GC 80800000 stage.

I then tried the same mol with 2.4.2 (which worked with mol a week or so
ago), same hang. I also grabbed the .56 2.4 rpm, and it had the same
problem.

This is on a PowerCenter Pro 210Mhz 604e with 224MB RAM. I'm including my
/etc/molrc for good measure.

Thanks,
Peter

#-*-makefile-*-################################################
#
# Mac-on-Linux configuration file (molrc)
#
# MOL looks for this resource file in the following places
#
# $MOLRC (if started as root)
# /etc/molrc-hostname
# /etc/molrc
#
# All paths are relative /usr/lib/mol
#

# First, make sure boot_method below is set appropriately. The options are
#
# newworld MOL boots MacOS from a file-ROM (also called "newworld" ROM).
# The file-ROM image is simply a copy of the file "Mac OS ROM"
# and can be copied from the System Folder (MacOS 8.6 or later).
# The ROM file might be missing on older machines if MacOS was
# installed with the "minimal installation" option checked (you
# can use free application 'tome viewer' to extract the file
# from the MacOS installer).
#
# Newworld booting currently does not work on 601-based machines (but
# the oldworld booting method should work for these machines)
#
# oldworld MOL boots MacOS using a boot-rom. Only certain old boot ROMs are
# supported (in particular, machines similar to the PowerMac 8500
# are supported). You probably do not want to do an oldworld
# boot unless you have a very old version of MacOS (<= 8.5).
#
# macosx Boot MacOS X (or Darwin). Not yet fully working.
#
# linux Boot Linux. Not yet fully working.

boot_method: newworld

####################################
# Newworld settings
####################################

# IMPORTANT: Currently it is necessary to strip the first 0x4000 bytes
# from the newworld image (the command to use is strip 'nwrom src dest'),
# for instance:
#
# strip_nwrom "/System Folder/Mac OS ROM" /usr/lib/mol/rom/rom.nw
#

newworld_rom: rom/rom.nw # path to the stripped ROM-image

####################################
# Oldworld settings
####################################

# The following applies to oldworld booting ONLY:
#
# You should in general use a ROM-image and an oftree description
# file from the same machine, or from a closely related machine.
# If no ofree image is available (or if it doesn't work),
# try all the files in the oftrees directory /usr/lib/mol/oftrees.
#
# If the lines below are commented, then the ROM/oftree of the
# machine running the software will be used (see doc/mol/Status
# for more information)
#
# Sometimes it might be necessary to set 'processor' below to 4.
# (Do this only if 8 does not work)
#
# Note: Do NOT use the "strip_nwrom" command on non-newworld images!
#

rom_image: rom/rom.8500
oftree: oftrees/oftree.8500

####################################
# Session save/restart (newworld only)
####################################
#
# By pressing F12, the MOL session can be saved to
# disk. The next time MOL is started, the session will be
# restarted (very rapidly).

session_file: /tmp/mol_session # Typically has a size of 30-130 MB

####################################
# Emulation parameters
####################################
#
# processor values: 601, 602, 603, 604, G3 (750), G4 (7400)
#
# In general, you should not set 'processor'. MOL will automatically
# determine which processor model it should emulate.
#
# NOTE [603 users]
# Run MOL in 604 mode, or preferably, in G3 mode (G3 mode is default)
#
# NOTE [boot-ROM booting]:
# Some boot-ROMs might not run in G3 mode. If so, try 604 mode instead.
#
# NOTE [601 users]
# Always run in 601 mode (default)
#
# NOTE [G4 users]
# If the linux kernel lacks AltiVec support, it is necessary to
# explicitly disable the altivec unit below. MOL will probably crash if
# this is not done. More importantly, 2.2 kernels without altivec support
# MIGHT PANIC DUE TO A KERNEL BUG.

processor: 604
ram_size: 128 # should probably be increased
disable_altivec: yes

####################################
# HFS volumes
####################################
#
# blkdev: device flags
#
# Device can for instance be /dev/hda, /dev/hda6 or /dev/sda4.
# The following flags are supported:
#
# -rw/-ro read-write / read-only [default]
# -force export non-HFS partitions (be careful!)
# -cd CD

#blkdev: /dev/hda -ro
#blkdev: /dev/hdb -ro
#blkdev: /dev/sda -ro
#blkdev: /dev/sdb -ro
#blkdev: /dev/cdrom -cd

blkdev: /dev/sdb6 -rw
blkdev: /dev/sdb4 -rw
blkdev: /dev/sda5 -rw

# WARNING:
# Make sure you have backups of any important data before enabling
# read-write permissions. Disk corruption in conjunction with
# MOL has been reported (most probably due to a conflict with RamDoubler 9).
#
# Note 1:
# You probably want to change the entries above to something
# like 'blkdev /dev/hda6 -rw'. Use pdisk/disklabel to find out
# what partition numbers your HFS volumes have. If you do not
# change this, then the volume might end up locked (even if
# it is not mounted by linux).
#
# Note 2:
# If there is an error 'file system map inconsistent' during boot,
# then write privileges should be enabled (this appears to be a MacOS bug
# which sometimes prevents booting from a locked volume).
#
# Note 3:
# Which volume MacOS tries to boot from is dependent
# upon the order of the blkdev lines above.
#

####################################
# Mouse
####################################
#
# One of the following mouse settings should probably be used:
#
# device protocol
# -------------------------
# /dev/usbmouse, usb # might work with ADB too
# /dev/input/mice, usb # might work with ADB too
# /dev/adbmouse, adb
# /dev/mouse, ps2
# - console # for old kernels

#mouse_device: /dev/usbmouse
mouse_protocol: usb # usb (ps2), adb, console
mouse_dpi: 140 # higher == slower mouse
use_x_cursor: yes # use X cursor as mouse cursor

####################################
# Ethernet
####################################
#
# netdev: device [-sheep | -tap | -tun]
#
# Note: It is possible to configure up to three network
# interfaces simultaneously.
#

#netdev: tap0
netdev: eth0

#######################################
# Video configuration
#######################################

# Startup resolution and depth (used as a *HINT* only)
resolution: 640/480/75 # width/height[/Hz]
depth: 32 #

# X-display to be used ($DISPLAY is used if commented)
#xdisplay: remote.host.address:0.0

# The tool 'molvconfig' configures the fullscreen modes.

start_on_console: no # switch to console initially
autoswitch_console: no # allow automatic switching to console
enable_console_video: no # Full-screen video is *much* faster than X-video
enable_xvideo: yes #
use_backing_store: no # Set to 'yes' only if the X-server is remote.
#vt: 9 # VT-number to use for full-screen video

# For VNC information, visit http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

enable_vncvideo: no # Enable the VNC server
vnc_port: 5900 # port to use for VNC

####################################
# Keyboard
####################################
#
# Almost all Apple keyboards have an unique ID, and it affects how MacOS
# deals with key map tables and such. Ideally, we'd want to get this info
# from /dev/adb, but for now please specify.
#
# Hint: *Usually* the ID is printed during Linux/PPC's bootup.
# .....
# adb devices: [2]: 2 22 [3]: 3 1
# ^ ^
# | +- The second number ("22" here) is the keyboard ID.
# This "2" indicates that it's an ADB keyboard.
#
# Sample IDs:
# ID #
# ----
# 1 Apple Standard Keyboard
# 2 Apple Extended Keyboard
# 22 JIS Apple Keyboard II
# 200 JIS USB Keyboard
#

keyboard_id: 2

# Older kernels in general use ADB keycodes. MOL tries to auto-detect
# whether ADB or linux keycodes are used, but this setting can be forced
# by uncommenting the following line:

#use_linux_keycodes: yes

# It is possible to tune the keymapping by adding
# 'remap_key keycode adb_keycode' lines.

#remap_key: 31 2 # Maps keycode 31 to ADB keycode 2

# Files containg key-mappings can also be read. The format
# of the file is 'keycode: adbcode'

#kbd_file: filename

####################################
# Console video gamma
####################################
#
# Gamma correction for the display. "gamma" takes one floating number
# between 0.1 and 10.0 or three floating numbers specifying each R, G, and B
# value separately. A larger value gives a brighter display. No correction
# is made when the value is 1.0.
# Please note that the xvideo mode is not affected by this setting.

gamma: 1.0 # one value for all RGB
#gamma: 1.0 1.0 1.0 # R G B separately

####################################
# Sound

play_startboing: no # Play startboing
disable_osi_sound: yes # Disable sound?
use_esd: no

# Misc

logfile: /tmp/mol-logfile # only used in debugger mode
mount_mol_disk: no