Re: startmol >=.56 locks machine hard [was Re: Improved 9.1 support]

Subject: Re: startmol >=.56 locks machine hard [was Re: Improved 9.1 support]
phandel@cise.ufl.edu
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 15:04:12 MDT

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> > > Had you run any previous version of MOL earlier? Under 2.2
> > > you should reboot linux before running the new version
> > > (to get rid of the old runtime patching stuff).
> > >
> > > Also, did you compile against the right kernel headers?
> >
> > I rsync'ed linuxppc_2_4 from penguinppc.org::linux-2.4-bk ( with a slight
> > patch to work around the missing process_bridge_ranges function), then
> > rsync'ed your zorn.theophys.kth.se::mol tree into a new directory, did a
> > make libimport, make, make install, and startmol. It locks up the machine
> > hard at the GC 80800000 stage.
> >
> > I then tried the same mol with 2.4.2 (which worked with mol a week or so
> > ago), same hang. I also grabbed the .56 2.4 rpm, and it had the same
> > problem.
> >
> > This is on a PowerCenter Pro 210Mhz 604e with 224MB RAM. I'm including my
> > /etc/molrc for good measure.
> >

> Are you sure you recompiled MOL using the correct kernel headers?
> If not, MOL *will* cause a panic. In particular, the prebuilt
> version will only run on 2.4.3-pre8 or later.

Yes, I am certain. I tried both a self-built 2.4.3 and 2.4.2-pre2 kernel
with both the latest rsync from penguinppc.org::linux-2.4-bk and your
rpm of .56. I've been doing a lot of fsck'ing :-)

I'll try launching mol with the debugger running to get you some more
information this evening.

Thanks,
Peter

--
Peter F. Handel          "[The anti-Christ] also forced everyone, small and
phandel@cise.ufl.edu      great ... to receive a mark [smart card?] on his