Re: Linux under MOL under Linux : it works !

Subject: Re: Linux under MOL under Linux : it works !
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 08:22:17 MDT

>I had this strange experience: mol started well a MacOs 9.O.4 and I went
>to the kitchen. Meanwhile the BootX extension has launched, unatttended, and
>when I came back from the kitchen, I was in the LinuxPPC Installer.
>
>I was very surprised; I tried Ctl-Z, and I felt in a shell working fine !
>(except that every key get the corresponding caracter being entered 3 or 4
>times). I was able to launch the ls command, and have the answer !
>
>So I'm absolutly sure that BootX is able to start a LinuxPPC with inird
>when it is started by BootX as a Boot Extension at MacOS init time under
>MOL.
>
>Linux PPC kernel (the first !) 2.4.3 MOL 0.9.57
>LinuxPPC Intaller from LinuxPPC 2000 (feb 2000) kernel 2.2.5pre3.
>
>Perhaps the mahgic stands on this Installer that I don't know very well.
>
>I seems that MOL is more and more robust.

Hehe, in fact, that ability was in MOL for some time ;) The problem is
that Linux has no drivers for some of MOL "features" (like the block
device, the sound driver, etc...). So you are limited to "old style"
hardware emulation which is neither up-to-date (maintained) nor
efficient.

I occasionally use MOL as a debugger to trace bits of the linux kernel
entry (head.S), it's the only debugger I know that can trace MMU
context switches ;)

Ben.