Error: WARNING, phandle == 0 ?

Subject: Error: WARNING, phandle == 0 ?
From: Eric Volker (ebv1@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 14:01:14 MDT

I've been experiencing repeated crashes with MOL. The condition is
easiest to recreate when starting Internet Explorer within MOL, but is
not limited to IE. An attempt at force quitting brings up the usual
dialog, but clicking on the buttons results in a frozen screen. MOL
generates the following output:

Mapping GC at 80800000
RTAS instantiate at 00004000
************ WARNING, phandle == 0 ************
********* of_quiesce *********
<*> kOpenCommand
<*> control - Unrecognized cscode 20
Signal INT
One more to kill emulator
cleaning up....

Everything up to Signal INT occurs before the lock up. The only obvious
problem is the WARNING, phandle == 0 bit. Can anyone shed some light on
these error messages? I ran across a refence in the mailing list to
deleting nvram.nw, but that just resulted in the starting bong and a
blank screen. Apparently the recreated nvram.nw is invalid in some way.

System config (everything I can think of that might be relevant):
Motorola Starmax 5500, upgraded to G3/300
96MB RAM
LinuxPPC 2000 Q4
Kernel 2.2.18
MOL 0.9.58-1 (compiled against running kernel)
X/Windows 3.3.6
New world booting with MacOS 8.6 ROM