Re: Installing MacOSX along with existing Linux Partitions, How?

Subject: Re: Installing MacOSX along with existing Linux Partitions, How?
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 15:41:46 MDT

Well folks, after 4 days of hell, I still can't use yaboot effectively.

I went ahead and collapsed the two end partitions of my drive and then
intalled OSX. After booting it I tried to bring up OS9 on my other
partition. The OS9 loader promply told me the OS was the wrong one for my
system with a "restart" dialog box. Undeterred, I rebooted into OS9.
Unfortunately OS9 refused to come up. It would get all the way to just
before showing the icons on the screen and then hang- the mouse just
disappeared and nothing.

What followed was hours and hours of rebuilding OS9 and restoring from
backup, rebuilding OSX and trying the entire thing again. This time OS9
classic came up in OSX (after asking to install something onto my OS9 disk-
it didn't do that the first time, wierd). And I could boot into OS9 again
(however it STILL occasionally decides to hang during startup- can't figure
it out).

That done, I set about trying to use ybin with yaboot. Previously to this I
had a small HFS partition with a system that I would put on yaboot and
bootscript to do a dual boot. Having read the ybin stuff, I did the mkofboot
on this partition. This placed a file called ofboot.b on the partition
(/dev/hda10). It complained that there was no nvram to ammend. Strange
because there was a System on that partition before (did I do something
wrong?). It destroyed the partition in favor of itself, but what could I do,
there were no other partitions to use. Then I called yabootconfig. This
made the simple yaboot.conf file. I ammeded the yaboot.conf file to triple
boot as per the manual.

Not exactly knowing what else to do, I booted into open firware and typed:

    setenv boot-device hd:10,\yaboot

then I typed:

    boot

And I get the familiar bunch of linux boot options. But no triple boot
stuff. I'm supposed to be able to use M for macos9 X for macosX and L for
linux. What did I do wrong? I'll include my yaboot.conf file in this message
below.

Anyway, that is where I am as of now. I hope that somebody can look at my
dilemma and tell me what I did wrong. BTW- I cannot find the yaboot HOWTO
anywhere- can somebody give me a URL for it?

Here is my yaboot file:

##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot=/dev/hda10
device=hd:
partition=11
root=/dev/hda11