Re: Installing MacOSX along with existing Linux Partitions, How?

Subject: Re: Installing MacOSX along with existing Linux Partitions, How?
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 12:01:34 MDT

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, William K. Gibson wrote:

> I'm not sure how I asked MacOS9 to boot. But it did boot from the partition.
> It got to the welcome screen and everything. What happened was that OSX
> corrupted something on the OS9 disk. It booted fine and originally I had no
> trouble booting OS9, Linux, or OSX, provided I did it manually from open
> firmware.

I still think the blessings were not correct, and OS 9.1's Mac OS ROM was
probably trying to load the wrong System and Finder.

> Yes, I have nvsetenv, but it complained that I did not have /dev/nvram. I
> tried to mknod to setup /dev/nvram as per the man page of nvsetenv, but then
> nvsetenv complained that the device was not configured. It seems the
> nvsetenv man page said it was Major number 1 and minor number 10. After
> trying it with your major number 10 minor number 144, nvsetenv actually
> worked. However, mkofboot still complained that nvsetenv was too old a
> version (but this did not ultimately matter: see below).

You might see about getting a newer version of powerpc-utils, if possible.
(Or whatever the package is called on your distro.)

> Anyway, after setting everything up again, I set the boot device on
> partition 14 from open firmware and it worked fine. Oddly, I still had to
> use 1 backslash. Perhaps mkofboot was more kind in the generation of the
> files because of the way I made the partition.

One backslash? That's definitely not right. What would happen if you used
2 backslashes (which would be correct)? What kind of system were you
seeing this on?

> Again, thanks for the time you took to answer my email. You can feel good
> that you contributed to removing at least one person's headaches :-)

Glad that it was helpful, and you have gotten going.

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School | #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | #linuxOS on OPN