Re: mol networking + 2.4.8

Subject: Re: mol networking + 2.4.8
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 05:10:31 MDT

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 11:17:42AM +0200, Jean-Jacques Levy wrote:
> Dear Samuel,
>
> I think I followed your instructions: recompiling kernel with
> correct flags, installing tunconfig, etc. When I start mol, I
> get:
>
> TUNSETIFF: File descriptor in bad state
> Failed to initialize the tun-<tunl0> device
> Ethernet Interface (port 1) 'sheep-<eth0>' @ FE:FD:DE:AD:BE:EF
>
> after getting during some while "tun unknown device", which I
> patched by replacing tun0 by tunl0 in tunconfig. However I'm
> not sure of all this, since I don't know much about tunnelling.

You should use "tun0", not "tunl0" (both in /etc/molrc and
tunconfig). The kernel driver might possibly be confused of
a non-digit following tun (I haven't checked this though).

The tun driver works pretty much as the tap driver. The main
difference is that the interface is created when MOL
is started and destroyed when MOL exits. (The masquerading
setup is identical).

I'm thinking about adding improved auto-configuring of
tun-based networking (ensuring that the /dev/net/tun device is
present, loading any modules necessary and including
an improved version of the tunconfig script).
Possibly, I'll include the tun module as well (most
prebuilt kernels support masquerading, but perhaps
not the TUN device).

Regards,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908174